Monday, April 11, 2011

Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing Baby?

Gotta get the orig' right!  I mean there's something about the search, the quest, that really gets me going.  Hunting the bins, digging, hoping to find that album that you've been looking for.  The Meters, Jimmy Smith, Shuggie Otis.  Need to find some vintage Sabbath and Maiden.  Would love to find some Grant Green for Bill.  I've had two copies of License to Ill pass through my hands and had to pass on a third because of funds, but I'll find it eventually.  Paul's Boutique as well.  It just takes time right?

Well the other day I was at Audiopile digging through the racks and I decided to check out the re-issue section.  Damn!  Look at all the awesome 180 gram releases.  I easily could've bought a dozen records.  Price was good, selection was great.  If only the money was available.  But it did get me thinking, "What's wrong with picking up the odd re-ish once and a while?"  My son bought Ill Communication and Tribe Called Quest, both 180gram releases, with his christmas money.  They're great.  So why don't I buy re-issues?  The answer to that is I don't know.  I mean I always preach it's about the music.  It shouldn't be about the age right?  I mean I love the music and the medium, do I really care about the age?

So what's it gonna be people?  Are you original only?  Or do you buy re-issue when you find something you want?  I'm starting to lean towards a bit of both and I'll tell you why.  If we all start buying the re-issues it will let the higher ups know that they should release more.  And then more music will start coming out on vinyl.  Maybe down the road there will only be two delivery forms, online and digital for the casual listener, and vinyl for the collector.

Note: turns out that Universal Music Group was listening!

http://www.universalmusic.com/corporate/universal-music-group-distribution-umgd-launches-groovetown-vinyl

No comments:

Post a Comment