Saturday, July 17, 2010

Apollo Music

15,000 records $1ea.


That's what craigslist said, so ya gotta go check it out.


An add like this could go two ways. The vinyl mention wasn't even in the title, it was sorta placed in the add almost like an afterthought or an aside. That means whoever placed it either knew what they had and it was epic, or it was going to be a tremendous bust.


EPIC.


Me and a few of the V.A.G. group saddled up the cars and headed out after work to this industrial address in the middle of PoCo to go see what we could see. Once we found the place (wrong turn, backtrack needed, check the map etc.) we kinda stood outside this unassuming industrial complex wondering what we had gotten ourselves into. Who in their right mind would cram a record shop in the middle of all this.


Well Mike and Jamie of Apollo Music would.


From what I could gather from talking to them was they are in the business of buying bulk vinyl. They then sort it, put the cherries in the shop upstairs, and leave the rest in storage. So what we had stumbled upon was their version of a garage sale, two long tables down the middle of the main floor, garage door open, buck a record. Stay downstairs and you can flip through the bins and find the gems. Buck apiece. 15,000 unsorted records laying on and under the tables waiting for the taking. And I took, oh yes I did.


I was pulling vinyl with wild abandon. If I thought I might even kinda want it I grabbed it. I was grabbing modern rock, 70's southern rock, big band, calypso, 80's rock, stuff I already had but found one in better shape, everything. Got some Black Oak Arkansas. Found the first four Average White Band records. The first Marshall Tucker album...check. Managed to get a couple BOC records. Even pulled 'Hey Jude' for a dollar. Soon one of the boys brought over a box so I could put it all somewhere. The place was full of people all talking vinyl. A couple guys next to me were looking for Blondie, another guy was searching for 60's stuff. Couple people were Jazz guys. If someone found something cool and they already had it they would hold it up for others to see, in case someone wanted it.


The music was social, everyone was having a blast. We were talking, laughing, enjoying the day. Mike and Jamie were coming by and asking if you needed anything, how you found the place, was it your first time there. They were awesome.


Social. That's the key. I have never had a bunch of friends over to my place for an iTunes buying party. No one opens up their hard drive and has a mp3 sale. I was there for 3 hours digging through the bins and it felt like 30 minutes. I ended up with 78 records and they charged me $75 bucks. I could have used that money on iTunes and bought 75 songs, instead I got whole albums. Some of it I would never be able to find online. But the big thing was I was out in the world enjoying the act of buying music. With like minded people, in a fun setting. Like I said EPIC.


Big thanks to Mike and Jamie, the day was great. As much as I want to keep it to myself, a place like this has to be talked about. Here are the stats:

Mike Rintoul / Jamie Anstey

Apollo Music Inc

8-2260 Tyner St

Port Coquitlam BC V3C 2Z1

Phone = 778-285-9544


Check 'em out if you can, but save a few gems for me.

KC


ps - I went upstairs to check it out. What I saw made my wallet scream. When the funds allow I'll explore the shop fully. I'll let you know what I find.


No comments:

Post a Comment