Sunday, February 27, 2011

Anyone remember 'The Beat'?

Back in the early 80's, on Saturday nights, instead of watching the Canadian video shows, I was watching 'The Beat'.  You see, for reasons I still don't fully understand, back in the day the local cable provider in Ucluelet got our US stations from Detroit.  Detroit?  Why not Seattle?  That would've made more sense, given the geography but nope we got Detroit.

Well lucky me, cuz on Detroit PBS (WTVS) on Saturday nights I got to watch 'The Beat'.  It was a video show hosted by Doug Podell, a local radio DJ, and for me it was the number one source for all the best videos of the time.  Also they weren't afraid to play the metal.  If I think back to all the great 80's metal videos, I saw them first on 'The Beat'.  Motley Crue, Ratt, Priest, W.A.S.P, Iron Maiden and Scorpions to name a few.  I've searched the web trying to find clips of the show but nothing has sprung up so instead I've got a picture of Doug from back in the day.


As far as a musical post I'm torn what to pick.  I watched so many videos on that show it's hard to really pick one, but if I have to choose this is one that to this day sticks out in my mind. It's Aerosmith's video for 'Let The Music Do The Talking'.  I first saw it on the show and it quickly became my favourite video for a long time.  I'm really not sure why.  Enjoy!




By the way, this video is the reason I love Dan Armstrong's clear acrylic guitars!

5 comments:

  1. Of course I remember 'The Beat', growing up in Detroit, I lived for that show, used to tape it every week.

    There's a few videos of 'The Beat' on Youtube, surprised you didn't find them. with the video you posted above.

    They're not that exciting, but it is a glimpse back in time.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBGBYFCacZ8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLXCDcaAJhI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eym-CKzohcA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mark, thanks for the comment. I did see a few clips on youtube but to really appreciate the show, I'm going to have to go back to the parents garage and try and find my old VHS tapes. Like you, I used to tape it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up watching The Beat and listening to Doug Podell on WLLZ in Detroit. Great show!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the beat with doug podell i dont think cable tv was even out and the video i remember was the romantics because i was so suprised the drummer was the singer

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was on "The Beat" the show was filmed from Bishop Borges high school one time. I got to introduce a video.

    ReplyDelete