Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Heptones

I was crate digging at a local used book store and came across this.


Now when I picked it up I had no idea who they were.  But looking at the cover I'm thinking 3 things:
1) Reggae
2) Jamaica
3) 70's

So I took the risk.  The one thing I've realized in the last few years is you have to take a chance on an album because the reward is so worth it sometimes.

The Heptones: Leroy Sibbles, Earl Morgan and Barry Llewellyn came together in Kingston in 1965. They spent their early career recording for numerous major Jamaican producers, as well as doing session work.  In 1975 they signed with Island Records and released 'Night Food' in 1975.

Now these guys were a early example of reggae and rocksteady music that was around Jamaica in the 60's and early 70's.  They moved from their rocksteady roots into reggae and this album, although reggae, is a very laid back version of their earlier styles.

When I finally got home and spun this album it proved once again that taking a chance is worth it.  It's a great album for a lazy day with some great harmonies and slow relaxed reggae.  Nothing like the reggae of Marley or Tosh, where the music had political or social overtones, just music meant for relaxed listening.

For your pleasure I present song 1, side 1, Country Boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment