Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Make up your mind!!!

I can't seem to stop thinking about cover songs lately!!  First I hate Santana's version of 'Dance The Night Away':
http://thisvinyllife.blogspot.com/2011/01/dance-night-away.html

Then I talk about how I love Robert Palmers version of a couple of Lowell George tunes:
http://thisvinyllife.blogspot.com/2011/02/robert-palmer.html

Then what do I do?  Post King Curtis' cover of Led Zeppelin:
http://thisvinyllife.blogspot.com/2011/02/king-curtis.html

Is it just me or does that seem like a lot?  Well in order to really milk this whole cover thing for all its worth I now present to you a Paul Simon cover by 'The Persuasions'.



These Brooklyn boys started their careers in the early sixties singing a cappella interpretations of gospel and popular songs of the day.  It was actually Frank Zappa that first got them into a studio!  He heard them singing over the phone while they were in a record store in Jersey and flew them out to LA to record their first album 'Acappella' in 1970.

This cover of Paul Simon's song is from the album 'Comin' At Ya' released in 1979.  I picked up this album at Apollo Records and once again it was one of those 'take a chance' purchases.  Didn't know anything about them but it looked good so there you have it.  When it comes to music you really should push it a bit and try to listen to a bit of everything.

So I guess I don't really have a problem with covers.  I guess when I hear a bad one it just really jumps out at me.  And yes I'm talking to you Carlos.

No comments:

Post a Comment